In the current advent of the move of technology, the aspect of automation testing services and its relevance cannot be neglected. Test automation is widely used by companies because of the many benefits it offers. From better coverage of test runs to repetitive and comprehensive tests, it solves human errors caused by fatigue or neglect. But with many benefits, this also poses many problems. You have an automation solution for almost any situation, but managers often have trouble finding the right solution and implementing it the best way.
Advantages of automation testing over conventional manual testing
Software testing is used in almost all software production organizations around the world to ensure that their target market delivers the products they offer as safe, efficient and superior standards.
There are two main approaches to software testing. This includes manual tests and automated tests. Manual testing refers to the process by which a person is responsible for running or testing products in different ways under different scenarios, to ensure that the customer who uses it encounters no problem and that application / the product works exactly the same way the developers wanted. On the other hand, automated testing is the process by which a company uses an external tool; or third party to perform predefined steps or instructions to ensure the proper functioning of the application/product.
Many companies are often wondering what approach would be best for their software testing requirements. While it’s so obvious automaton overtakes manual testing, below are the named advantages
- Automation is the ideal approach for those who need to run multiple tests repeatedly.
- Automation allows us to automate frequent code changes to help you regain regression within the allotted time.
- Automation allows us to run automation in common scenarios, which can be very beneficial for regression recovery over time.
- Automated tests also run a large test matrix because it can be run simultaneously on different machines.
- In manual testing, if there is a new version of the tool, the tester must rerun all necessary tests, which often tends to become tedious and commonplace, an automation tester doesn’t need to do this.
From the give chart below, we can deduce that project with no automated tests (manual test) took a lot of time, while the one with automation is so fast with great value delivered.
Testing is time-consuming. Hence, near the beginning of any project, one can double up all the time estimates while opting for automation testing. The payoff will come later. Team members cannot expect the same momentum with for a project without automation testing. You’ll be able to accommodate less features in end of sprint demos in the initial stages, but once you have reached your sweet spot, you’ll have controllable number of bugs, so that you can continue working on features.
Let’s now look at the 5 basic automation testing tools you will need to learn.
Selenium is an open source open platform framework for testing web applications. Also, it allows users to share, modify, and extend the available code. It helps programmers save a lot of time and effort, increasing productivity and, ultimately, return on investment. They can also use custom functions for better code management and readability.
Once the website or application of your business has been developed, it’s time to do a thorough test to see if the website is working properly on different devices with different screen sizes or not. This task can take a long time if you do not have access to additional tools. When the application reaches a stable phase of manual testing, each company intends to do automate testing to reduce the costs associated with manual testing. As this is an important factor in project development, companies are looking for open source automation tools rather than investing in expensive business tools.
A variety of open source test tools are available for different types of tests such as functional tests, UAT, regression, performance, etc. These open source tools have evolved a lot. So, it’s time to think about the best quality control automation tool that ensures your site works properly on all devices.
Based on the Selenium and Appium frameworks, Katalon Studio is an open source web and mobile application testing tool that supports API testing across different operating systems. It has an easy-to-use IDE, supports object snooping, object repository, and browser plug-in. Katalon Studio can be integrated with GIT, Jira and Jenkins. The tests are automatically generated using internal keywords. Key features of Katalon studio…
- Faster, more thoughtful results: Built-in sample copies with clear, domain-specific training steps help testers quickly create and run plain text automation tests. All steps from company organization to test generation, execution, generation and reporting support can be done using Katalon.
- Flexible modes: New testers can use records and keywords to create automation tests, while experienced testers can use a full IDE to create more plain text.
- Easy to use: Manual testers with minimal programming skills can get all the benefits with ease.
- Simple Deployment: A single, well-organized deployment package that contains everything a tester needs to deploy a powerful test automation tool.
- Quick and easy installation: In addition to simple installation, Katalon Studio makes it easy to set up your environment.
The Protractor is an end-to-end test framework for Angular and AngularJS applications. The reporter performs tests on the application running in a real browser, interacting with it as a user would.
As a structural framework, Protractor allows developers to easily create a variety of dynamic web applications. It is widely used by developers to create one-page websites. While using Protractor Angular JS, programmers could use HTML as a template language. They can simply extend the syntax of HTML to express the components of the application in a clear and readable format. Because the structure maintains the visualization and synchronized application data model, developers should not manually manipulate the Document Object Model (DOM). Angular can also be integrated with several libraries. Users can further customize the structure to their specific needs by making changes to its features.
IBM Rational Functional Tester
Created by IBM, Rational Functional Tester (RFT) is a commercial tool for test automation and regression testing. In addition, it can be used for graphical, functional, and data-driven testing. The tool supports testing of applications such as .NET, Java, SAP, Siebel, Ajax, Dojo and others. It can be easily integrated with other software, including the IBM Rational Quality Manager test management tool.
Below are few test steps to follow in order to carry out work with Rational Functional Tester:
- Creating a project: to store multiple test assets.
- Setting up the environment: Before starting the test automation, we need a favorable test environment using RFT. The environment refers to the reporting system as a tested application development process for Rational Functional Tester, to establish a good connection between AUT and the test automation tool.
- Test the configuration of the application
- Test Script Recording: It is designed to record all the actions of the user in our application, such as keystrokes and mouse clicks, etc.
TestComplete is a flexible tool for automatically testing web applications, mobile devices and computers. In addition, it is suitable for data-driven tests and keywords. The tool supports custom plugins and extensions. It has the ability to record and play. When testing the user interface, problems can be detected using logs, image capture, and video files.
Among the several benefits of testcomplete is that it helps in the automated testing of your native mobile and web applications Test on multiple devices or emulators without modifying your tests, with full access to the application’s internal methods and objects.
Also, it allows you to create and run automated tests on real Android phones, Android tablets, as well as emulators and virtual machines. Without having to locate devices, TestComplete provides full access to test application objects and the ability to automatically manage third-party black box applications.
The choice of the test automation tool depends on several factors. There is no universal framework or tool that meets all the requirements and needs of the QA team. After reviewing the product specifications, customer requirements, and test objectives, you can choose the appropriate test automation tool from a large set of test frameworks.